Saturday, February 21, 2015

BOOK REVIEW - STEADFAST HEART

BOOK DESCRIPTION
Lenore Fulcher isn't pretentious despite her spoiled upbringing. Her deepest desire at the age of twenty is to find true love. However, her father believes she's wasted enough time searching for a suitable husband, and he wants to marry her off to one of his business partners--thirty-seven-year-old James Rybus. But the idea of marriage to a man so much older is out of the question for Lenore.  Kolbein Booth, a lawyer from Chicago, arrives in Seattle looking for his headstrong sister who he believes may have answered an advertisement for mail-order brides. Sick with worry, he storms the Madison Bridal School, demanding to see his sister, only to learn she isn't there. But Lenore Fulcher is, and something about her captures his attention. Is this the man Lenore has been searching for? She may not have long to find out... 

Author Tracie Peterson's Website -  http://www.traciepetersonbooks.com/

MY REVIEW
I have read several of Tracie Peterson's historical fiction novels and have never been let down, so I chose her newest release as the February read for my Book Club.  It was enjoyed by all!  I do have to say that I had a small struggle getting into the story.. partially due to all the character introductions in the first few chapters of the book.  I prefer to get to know the heroine of the story and then be introduced to the supporting characters.  There were too many loose ends for me as well (even for a trilogy), but none the less I look forward to reading Refining Fire later this year.  I would have liked a little more of a brewing romance between Abrianna and Wade to get me more interested in a second book (although I noticed that it would be focused on Militine's budding romance). Several secondary plots were written in and I was excited there was a small mystery involving murders around the bridal school.  I think these murders were staged by Priam and would have liked to get further information about that issue instead of what all was going on with Lenore in San Francisco. That really did drag for me. Another secondary plot involved human trafficking and I later found out that January is Human Trafficking Awareness month (the month in which the book was released).  Priam is just pure evil!  I hope he is not a key character in the next book, but that was one of the many loose ends that needs to be concluded.  I had no idea this horrible, inhumane act was even taking place in the late 1800s.  Overall, I really liked the book and I am excited to read Refining Fire when it's released.

BOOK DISCUSSION QUESTIONS ( I created these for my Book Club)
 1. What are your thoughts on "true love"? Myth or reality?
2. How did you feel reading historical fiction? What genre do you normally enjoy reading?
3. It's Valentine season, so let's talk about the different relationships in the book (romance and friendship). Are they good or bad? What influences or obstacles did they/will they face?  Were they genuine friendships?
4. Abrianna began to grieve her friendship with Lenore before the wedding. This seems to be relevant to today..balancing friends with family life.  What challenges have you experienced? Any successes or advice? pg.101
5. The world of 1888 Seattle is definitely different from ours today; however, there is a similarity with the secondary plot of human trafficking.  How do you think God feels about this? pg.163
6.Class divisions were a theme in the book.  What did you think about these and you see them in our culture today? How does His Word reflect this?
7.What about the bridal culture in these times?  Do they seem the same as today or different?
8. Abrianna had a heart-felt calling from God to minister to those in need ans she believed that everyone had a calling.  Do you feel that you are called and to what type of service? pg.138
9.The book had a mystery revolving around three men who were murdered.  Did the sleuth in you find any evidence or patterns?  Who do you think was behind this and was there a motive?
10. Steadfast Heart is the beginning of the Brides of Seattle series.  Do you think you will read the next book?  What do you think the next subject will be? How will everything turn out?

1 comment:

  1. I read this book at your recommendation and I enjoyed it. Your review is very helpful and the study group questions are thought-provoking and quite good for interesting discussion. I look forward to reading the other books in this series when they become available.

    ReplyDelete